20.7.08

sickening

Hog dog fights - often referred to as "hog catch trials" and "hog dog rodeos" - are public events where dogs are released to attack pigs in a penned arena. The crowd cheers as the dogs, mostly pit bulls, tear at the animals' ears, snouts, groins and tails. For anyone who has witnessed a hog dog fight, it is the agonizing screams of the trapped and terrified pigs that truly encapsulates the whole ugly business. Hog dog fighting is even more inexcusable because it is staged animal fighting billed as family entertainment. Attend almost any hog dog event and you'll see mothers and children in the audience, cheering on the attacking dogs and their trainers.


Learn how to combat animal cruelty and be rewarded

4 comments:

April said...

I have that same banner on my page! I have never heard of hog dogging, though...scary!! I just don't get how people get pleasure out of animals hurting each other. Sheesh.

Michele P. said...

I have never heard of it before this, but that is an awful thing to do! When I used to live in RI, sometimes near the projects, the police would find a small dog (used to train the pits) dead from a dogfight. They never found the culprits but I was so sickened by peoples attitudes and behaviors, like it was no big deal. my 3 kitties were all abandoned or abused as kittens also in RI, and I wish I could have rescued all the kitties I saw down there. very very sad, thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

That is just terrible. I don't understand how it can be legal. You have to wonder about the people who like watching that sort of thing! I am so angry and could say so many terrible things about this!!!

Unknown said...

i found the article through AP--it only has like one more paragraph but I'll try to dig it up!